Every two years, the term of half the Committee members ends and elections take place in New York, generally in June.
Child Rights Connect advocates for quality, independence and diversity of the Committee membership. We contact States and children’s rights defenders to encourage the nomination and election of the most suitably qualified experts, based on the official criteria provided by the CRC, the GA Resolution on treaty body strengthening and the Addis Ababa Guidelines on the independence and impartiality of treaty body members. We also promote transparency by providing the nominees with the opportunity to respond to a public questionnaire where they can demonstrate how their experience and expertise is an added value for the Committee.
As a member of TB-Net, Child Rights Connect works to make the elections of the Committee on the Rights of the Child as well as of other treaty bodies more open and transparent. For this purpose, you can find all the complementary questionnaires and videos of the candidates in the TB Elections website.
You can also the Summary Report TB-Net & Amnesty International Event on Treaty Body Election. The Report summarizes a roundtable working meeting under the Chatham house rule held on the 15th November 2018, with the aim to discuss amongst States and other key stakeholders including the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and NGOs, the current nominations and elections processes for Treaty Body membership, and proposals for improvements which aim to enhance the quality, independence and diversity of Treaty Body membership.
On 6th of June 2022, nine new members of the Committee on the Rights of the Child were elected in New York to replace members whose terms are expiring on 28 February 2023 (alphabetical order):
- Suzanne AHO, Togo – re-elected, English | Français
- Thuwayba Ahmed Issa AL BARWANI, Oman – first term, English
- Aïssatou ALASSANE MOULAYE SIDIKOU, Niger– re-elected, English | Français, questionnaire (FR), video (FR)
- Hynd AYOUBI IDRISSI, Morocco – re-elected, Français
- Mary BELOFF, Argentina – first term, English | Español | Français, questionnaire (ES | EN)
- Rosaria CORREA, Panama – first term, English, questionnaire (ES), video (ES-EN)
- Bragi GUDBRANDSSON, Iceland – re-elected, English, questionnaire (EN)
- Philip D. JAFFÉ, Switzerland – re-elected, English | Français, video (EN | FR)
- Faith MARSHALL-HARRIS, Barbados – re-elected ( votes), English
From 1st March 2023 onwards, the new membership of the Committee will consist of 12 women and 6 men, who come from the following regions: 4 from Latin America and the Caribbean; 6 from Africa; 3 from Asia-Pacific; 2 from Eastern Europe and 3 from Western Europe and other States.
CRC elections webpage – Webcast
Learn more about the elected candidates: www.untbelections.org